CTO (Chief Technology Officer)
We are looking for a world-class CTO to lead our engineering team to the next level and accelerate our path to building ‘the Amazon of learning’.
We believe education without boundaries enriches lives and can connect our world. World history has a window of only a couple of years where one entrepreneurial, passionate team will digitize global education choice, and through that make it more reliable/fact based, more convenient, accessible, and cheaper. Studyportals is well on its way and absolutely determined to fill that gap, to be THE digital information platform of choice for students who are looking to optimize their educational paths, globally.
Are you an experienced engineering leader ready to scale and develop a passionate engineering team from 40 to 100 FTE? Are you looking for an opportunity with large social impact? Do you care about education, transparency, data-driven decisions and global equality of opportunities?
Studyportals is the fastest growing online education choice platform in the world and well on its way to become a large, market defining organization. We help students find the study that fit them the best and provide result based student recruitment solutions for universities around the world.. Our mission is to make education choice transparent globally. In 2017, nearly 30 million students used our websites to find the perfect study programme. We offer international marketing and recruitment solutions used by more than 3,000 participating universities in 114 countries.
As a world-class Chief Technology Officer you have a proven track-record in leading. You will ensure Studyportals is the undisputed number one platform in the world that helps students choose the best-fit study, and universities to recruit best fit students, on the basis of data. You know the engineering challenges of a fast-growing company inside out. You will drive the technology vision and roadmap to build reliable and forward thinking platforms to help us grow a data driven, highly scalable and innovative company.
Once you are here you are going to…
- Accelerate our path towards the undisputed No 1 platform in the world that helps students enrol in the best fit education programme(s), and universities enrol best fit students.
- Lead and grow our technology/Engineering team; team culture, structure and strategy.
- Build the best and most sticky information platform that stays relevant to students throughout their decision-making process and help universities to enrol best-fit students.
- Retain and develop current engineering top-talent; attract new key-players.
- Build a (10x) scalable online platform servicing student visitors, university clients and internal users/processes.
- Balance engineering expenditure, tooling expenditure, infrastructure expenditure, system/application performance and stability.
- Think beyond our (student-facing) web platform; also considering the systems/technologies supporting our core business processes (i.e. delivery) and those supporting the gathering of deep insights into market trends (i.e. business intelligence).
- You will report directly to the CEO and be a part of the Management Team.
What we expect from you is to…
- Be able to lead, inspire and grow sizeable (80+ FTE) engineering team in software/web development. People respect you as an inspirational leader, you are energetic, and you inspire others to be the best versions of themselves. You provide gateways to ensure success, you are analytical, and you dare to make tough and bold choices, because that’s what disruption requires.
- Have 20+ years’ work experience and a track record of success in leadership.
- Can build and fortify a leadership team, people structures and agile processes (e.g. Scalable Agile; Lean UX).
- Have technical/architectural experience – you are a good sparring partner for the engineering managers / tech leads.
- Be a great MT member by being able to contribute to the overall company strategy and the improvement of company management in broad sense.
- Can translate overall vision into team plans, KPIs and emphasize how they should be used, monitors and steers progress.
- Be data-driven; “without metrics it’s just a hobby”.
- Have people management skills: track record of success. You are inspiring, positive, loving, ambitious, coaches & develops the team, gives feedback.
- Have excellent communication skills, being inspiring and positive.
Good to have:
- Good business acumen. Understand implications of different business models.
- Good understanding of User Research/feedback gathering practices. Has a knack for knowing what users/clients want.
- Experience with large-scale AWS (Cloud) environments; advanced CI/CD-supported development processes; micro-services; modern architecture for large scale distributed online systems.
- Experience with test-driven development; event-sourcing (both from a “big data” perspective and as an architectural approach towards realising a scalable platform).
- A full-time position
- The possibility to make a big impact on the company’s evolution and scale-up
- Competitive salary, including an excellent, performance-based bonus scheme and equity-based compensation (we like to give credit where credit is due)
- 25 days paid leave (with the possibility to buy/sell 5 days).
- An annual personal development budget, because personal growth is KEY!
- A discount for a collective insurance package with AON, covering public and private insurances, from healthcare and home insurance to car and liability insurances.
- Extras that make life more interesting such as a laptop of your choice, massage, fresh fruit, coffee and tea in the office, beer Fridays etc.
- Reimbursement of your work-related travel costs.
- A great company environment that is serious about fun with everything we do. That includes frequent memorable team events, table tennis, slide, karaoke nights. Self-initiative is highly appreciated.
- The opportunity to make our world a little better and be at the core of the growth phase of a study choice giant that the world is desperately waiting for.
- The best office in the best building of the vibrant Strijp-S area in Eindhoven. An exciting hub of entrepreneurship, technology and design, just 10 minutes from the city centre and 15 minutes from the airport. For a preview, see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ns3Z-0OczTU
Get to know more about our why and how: https://www.studyportals.com/about-us/our-mission-and-core-values/
And via our social media channels:
Facebook: www.facebook.com/studyportals and www.facebook.com/studyportalscareers
You can also read our product-focused blog post, to get a better idea about what we do: https://www.studyportals.com/blog/how-the-student-...
Studyportals is committed to safeguarding your privacy and protecting your personal data. For information on how we process the personal data included in your application please see our Privacy Notice for Applicants.