Junior DevOps Engineer
Our challenge is to build, adapt, and create the biggest education search platform, bringing transparency and reliability to international education. We are building a platform that is valuable to students and agile to the demands of international education www.mastersportal.com/ or www.bachelorsportal.com for example). Our focus is therefore fully student/user-centred. We place all our energy on knowing what students want, allowing them to be the main architects of our portals.
Your role as a Junior DevOps Engineer at Studyportals
As a Junior DevOps Engineer, you will assume responsibility over Studyportals’ compute infrastructure and the tooling used by our Scrum teams to place their work in the hands of students and universities worldwide. Your focus will be on Security and you will become part of the DevOps Team, currently consisting of our Tech Lead and two DevOps Engineers with specialties on Continuous Delivery and Quality Assurance respectively.
Virtually all of the technology powering Studyportals’ platform has been developed in-house over the course of the past ten years. All our systems are housed on Amazon Web Services and our current server-stack is based around Apache/PHP running on Linux. Having already achieved Continuous Delivery for almost a year we are able to continuously adapt our software in line with user feedback and changes in business strategy. Development, test and operations work together as one delivery team to deliver the best product to our users.
We are currently moving towards a microservices-based architecture, breaking our previous monolithic approach into loosely-tethered, modular services. This transition allows us to increase speed, reliability and scalability of applications through continuous delivery and deployment but at the same time highlights the need of a secure infrastructure and the secure design of each microservice which is where you come in.
You will facilitate the maintenance and further development of the tooling used by our developers and testers as well as the tooling we use to deploy and monitor our websites. Moreover, you will help us define security policies and assist other teams assessing potential risks on their deliverables.
You will get a great deal of independence and bear back-to-front responsibility on the above activities. We encourage you to involve other engineers and colleagues in co-creation sessions and workshops. Exposing your work early and often to the rest will allow you to achieve better results and make development process smoother.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree, typically in Computer Science, Software Engineering or similar degrees;
- The ability to use a wide variety of (open-source) technologies and tools. You are able to select, deploy and maintain the tools required to optimise our development processes;
- One to three years of work experience, you can be a fresh graduate if you can convince us of your professional maturity;
- The ability to code and script;
- Experience with systems and IT operations;
- Comfortable with frequent, incremental code testing and deployment cycles;
- A strong grasp of automation tools. You understand what and when to (or not to) automate and are able to make objective cost/benefit assessments of your proposed automations;
- A drive to improve both yourself and the quality of the work you deliver; you like to be at the cutting-edge of the technologies you work with;
- Comfort with collaboration, open communication and reaching across functional borders;
- Fluency in English, both oral and written, and excellent communication skills;
- Ambition, energetic and an entrepreneurial drive, you can work well independently but also in a team and you are fun to work with.
Personal qualities and skills
• Putting user needs at the centre of design decisions;
• Good collaboration, communication and facilitation skills;
• Dedication, drive, enthusiasm and integrity.
- A full-time position.
- 25 days paid leave.
- Competitive salary, including an excellent bonus scheme.
- An annual personal development budget, because personal growth is KEY!
- A discount for a collective insurance package with AON, covering public and private insurances from healthcare and home insurance to car and liability insurances.
- Interesting extras such as a laptop of your choice, hackdays, etc...
- Reimbursement of your work-related travel costs.
- Informal, entrepreneurial, and flexible atmosphere where self-initiative is highly appreciated. Apart from your contribution to the company, your personal development has high priority.
- A great company environment that is serious about having fun with everything we do, including frequent memorable team events, table tennis, slide, etc.
- The opportunity to make our world a little better and be at the core of the growth phase of a study choice giant that the European market is desperately waiting for.
- Located in the vibrant Strijp-S area in Eindhoven. An exciting hub of entrepreneurship, technology and design, just 10 minutes from the city centre and 15 minutes from the airport.
Tempted? Get some insight into who we are here:
Facebook: www.facebook.com/studyportals and www.facebook.com/studyportalscareers
Studyportals is committed to safeguarding your privacy and protecting your personal data. For information on how we process the personal data included in your application please see our Privacy Notice for Applicants.