Junior Software Engineer
We’re out to solve one of the most burning problems in the world today: How do we effectively connect people from all around the world to the global education opportunities, in a way that is useful and relevant for them? You can help us solve that problem by becoming our next Software Engineer! If you are passionate about problem-solving and like to work in a crazy, kind and performance-driven team, then keep on reading.
Our challenge is to build, adapt, and create the biggest education search platform in the world, bringing absolute transparency and reliability to international higher education. That is why we have been putting a lot of work and proverbial sweat into creating platforms (www.mastersportal.com or www.bachelorsportal.com for example) that are valuable to students and agile-enough for the demands of the international education industry. We are both student- and university-centered and encourage our stakeholders to be the main architects of our online platforms. You can help us bring our platforms to the next level.
Why do we need you?
The technology behind Studyportals’ platforms is mostly based on TypeScript and AWS Services with some legacy systems build in PHP7. Virtually, all of our systems have been developed in-house and are in compliance with modern quality standards. We work in a service-oriented architecture, powered by our own RESTful API and AWS. In parallel, we are scaling up our infrastructure, moving more towards AWS. That is because we want to get the most benefits out of the large variety of infrastructure and services available. Here is where we need your help.
Your challenge: Design and implement functional web interfaces, along with the full structure behind it.
As an Engineer, you will play an important role in further developing our infrastructure using AWS and other services. This will be the base of all our future products. Your responsibilities range from working on the core of our systems all the way up to producing proof-of-concept web applications. The Front-End Developers and UX designers will help you to turn your proof-of-concept applications into true and performant “online experiences”.
Who will you work with?
You will work in a multidisciplinary, international Scrum Team of about five people, taking input from our visual designers, UX Designers and our Stakeholders. Your goal will be to put out the best implementations possible. We are currently focusing on becoming more data-driven, expanding our continuous deployment process and test-driven development.
Do you have what it takes to be our Software Engineer at Studyportals?
As a software engineer, you aim to build scalable web applications. The mindset that you should bring to the team is that your skill-set should not be limited to writing good code only (that’s great, but it won’t be enough here). You are ambitious to reach your goals and are able to work independently, as well as in a team. Sounds good? Great! The following requirements are necessary to be successful in this position:
Once here, you will:
- Develop software using Typescript and NodeJS.
- Improve our infrastructure using AWS.
- Continuously improve your skills by taking the initiative to learn and share your knowledge with others. We take personal development seriously.
- Collaborate within cross-functional teams towards building scalable, top-notch products.
What you will bring along:
- At least a bachelor’s degree, preferably in Computer Science or a related field.
- You have 0-2 years of relevant working experience.
- Experience with any object-oriented language, such as C# or Java is a pre.
- Experience with persistent data structures such as MySQL or NoSQL is a pre.
- You naturally stay up to date with the latest trends in software development (because things evolve at such a rapid pace in this field).
- Experience with Amazon Web Services (AWS) or any other Cloud Computing Platform (e.g. Azure, Google Cloud Platform), is an advantage.
- You like to collaborate, appreciate open communication and are comfortable with working cross-functionally as part of your day-to-day work.
- We are an international company; therefore, your English should be polished enough to be able to work properly.
- A full-time position, with full-on perks.
- 25 days paid leave (with the possibility to buy/sell 5 days).
- Competitive salary, including a team-based bonus scheme (we like to give credit where credit is due).
- An annual personal development budget, because personal growth is KEY!
- A unique opportunity to ‘’own’’ a small part of the company by receiving our Share Appreciation Rights (SARs).
- A discount for a collective insurance package with AON, covering public and private insurances, from healthcare and home insurance to car and liability insurances.
- Extras that make life more interesting such as a laptop of your choice, fresh fruit, coffee and tea in the office, beer Fridays etc.
- Bi-weekly Hackday, during which you can freely experiment with new technologies or new projects, which you choose yourself.
- Reimbursement of your work-related travel costs.
- Freedom to prototype, depending on the challenges we face.
- Technical problems to solve that get your brain going, especially as we scale.
- Get on a career path, not just on another job.
- A great company environment that is serious about fun with everything we do. That includes frequent memorable team events, table tennis, slide, karaoke nights (it’s okay if you don’t sing) etc.
- The opportunity to make our world a little better. Be at the core of the growth phase of a study choice giant that the global market is desperately waiting for.
- Located in the vibrant Strijp-S area in Eindhoven. An exciting hub of entrepreneurship, technology and design, just 10 minutes from the city centre and 15 minutes away from the airport.
Get to know more about who we are via our social media channels:
Facebook: www.facebook.com/studyportals and www.facebook.com/studyportalscareers
You can also read our product-focused blog post, to get a better idea about what we do: https://www.studyportals.com/blog/how-the-student-...
Studyportals is committed to safeguarding your privacy and protecting your personal data. For information on how we process the personal data included in your application please see our Privacy Notice for Applicants.